Wednesday, June 29, 2011

MacBride Raptor Center/Cedar Valley Nature Trail

It's a Beautiful Day....Today Emily and I went exploring the Sugar Bottom area near Mahaffey Bridge.  I had the opportunity to speak with a Marty Holbrook over the weekend and he had several great suggestions to add to our list of things to do this summer.  We want to thank Marty for this great day!  We started our adventure at the Cedar Valley Nature Trail at Sugar Bottom Campground.  This is a nice trail that weaves in and out, and up and down, across small brooks and around rock cliffs.  Emily and I had a great time.

We then moved on to the MacBride Raptor Center.  Emily had the opportunity to visit the Center when she was in Second Grade for the end of the year field trip.  This was my first time.  If you have not yet had a chance to see this Center you must go.  It is quite, has 10 beautiful rescue birds on display, a butterfly garden and a WONDERFUL bird blind.  We both fully enjoyed "hiding" in the blind to bird watch but were surprised when a doe and its baby decided to come into the area to feed.  We both sat in total silence while we watched these deer feed just feet away from us.

Things I learned today.   1) Emily is looking forward to Middle School and hopes that she has Math either 1st or 2nd period because that is when her brain "works" the best :)  2) Emily does not believe that I would win if I were to get into a fight with a deer....I on the other hand fully believe that I could take that deer :)  3) Not all trails loop and that it only takes about 1 hour for my mind to fully believe that we were lost and that the best course of action is to retract our steps.  4) Conversations can take strange turns when you have the opportunity to walk and think and talk about whatever comes to your mind (hence the deer fight conversation).  5) Emily cheats at the Estimation Game because she continues to change her estimation throughout the game until she wins.  6) You don't always have to talk to understand your child....I love the quiet time when I know that she is thinking and I am thinking and then we find we were thinking about the same thing!

Coincidence of the day....I enjoyed signing along with U2 to their song "Beautiful Day" driving back into Lone Tree.  I think those lyrics are the perfect end to the day.....It's was a beautiful day...don't let it get away...beautiful day.......Rock on U2!

1 comment:

  1. You girls are so cute! Glad you had a beautiful day!!!! and I love the things you learned today! :)

    ReplyDelete