Saturday, August 20, 2011

Redneck Camping

I am back to work, Cross Country practice has started, school supplies have been purchased and summer is coming to and end.   So it is crunch time on a few things that were added to a list two months ago.

Camping......Can't say I have had too many successful camping trips in my life....there was the time my mother packed me and two of my sisters in a van and headed to the Badlands camping all the way (we still reminisce about that trip and laugh)...then there was the time that Gary and I thought it would be romantic to go camping (before children) and packed some food and a pup tent (our first mistake since I am pushing 6 foot and Gary is 6 foot 4) then headed to the closest campground where we experienced the worst night of sleep and was packed up and back home by 5:45 AM the next morning (we again reminisce about that night all though we are not laughing). BUT, even after each not so great experience I still feel the need to take my girls camping to experience the wonders of nature.  So we did the next best things.....Redneck Camping. 

Gary has setup the camper in the backyard and Emily and I have enjoyed many nights snuggling under blankets, watching movies on the computer (didn't think we were going to rough it when we are only feet away from a wireless connection did you?), singing campfire songs, and scaring ourselves with the noises of our own backyard.  And while probably not the experience I imagined back in June when I put it on the list it has been one that Emily and I will cherish and probably laugh about.

Who knows maybe I will get Gary talked into a early Fall camping trip and just maybe we will go farther than the backyard.....but if not it doesn't really matter because once we are inside the camper we can let our imagination take us wherever we desire.

1 comment: